Monday 18 November 2013

Sword Art Online Closing Captions and Thoughts

I've been meaning/wanting to do a Sword Art Online review since it was my favorite and was considered one of the most popular and anticipated anime in 2012. I considered it one of the more enjoyable animes in 2012. I am very much into fantasy as to Romance/comedy/slice of life animes. So don't worry guys I will cover other animes other than romance ones.

Side note: This post will not be a synopsis like other blogs, rather it'll be a closing caption about the whole anime and what I thought about it. Although I will give a general synopsis like I did for True Tears in the beginning. Also, I haven't read any of the manga or the light novels so this a from a perspective where I haven't experienced original works.

Synopsis:
In 2022, a new development of surfing the net was created called "nerve gear" It allows the user who uses it to be put into a sleep mode while their minds surf into an alternate reality. Sword Art Online created by Kayaba Akihiko, is one of many MMORPGS that is released. It becomes one of the most anticipated virtual reality game that consists of massive amounts of players to begin a quest to beat the 100 floors of the tower. The main character Kirito (Kirigaya Kazuto) logs in his first time after playing the beta version of  Sword Art Online. Soon, the community is devastated as no one is able to log out... Dying in the game also meant death in real life... What will happen to Kirito as he journey's through the levels of the game?

Closing Caption & Thoughts (May contain spoilers)

This anime started out really great. When I first watched Hack//sign I really loved the concept of virtual reality games that players couldn't log out. It was then the "journeys of fantasy games" made me so enticed at anime genres like this.

Characters:
They were very nicely developed throughout the game. Kirito had a nice growth of development learning to deal with pain, loss, love, isolation, and kindness. His development throughout the whole anime was very nicely executed, nothing too flawed about his character. I'd say it didn't really make anyone hate him.
Asuna, she didn't appear as much as I anticipated because I originally thought that she was going to be the girl who quests with Kirito, rather than someone Kirito has to save. (but then that would have had been a boring plot if all they did was quest together lol). Although, I really do love how they paced her relationship growth with Kirito as it was nicely done in the Sword Art Online Arc, the viewers such as myself was really able to put ourselves, subjectively into the anime and feel those two connecting really well (those kiss scenes with Asuna x Kirito aww *Tears*). On the side note, supporting characters seem to have lacked in this anime. I mean quite a lot actually. People like Klein, Andrew Mills, etc. People like them should have been a bit more written about rather than just showing up and saying a couple lines and then never appearing until couple episodes later. I think its possible to say that its because of how they paced it. Having 1 cour per an arc isn't sufficient enough to draw out the whole story in my opinion, having 2 cours to talk about the SAO arc and 1 cour to talk about the Elfheim Arc would have been ideal.

Plot:
The plot in this anime genre wasn't so bad as many would say actually. Yes, its an adaptation so you'd probably expect some flaws here and there. Things like plot holes are expected since it is never the original art, but it isn't to the point where the story line is so bad and illogical. However, I feel like the pacing may have been a little fast even if I haven't read the light novel. Things like how he levels up, fight monsters should have been explained instead of some hack and slash moments. Overall the flow of the anime was pretty well, except the pacing, it should have spent bit more time in explaining the details of the world.

Animation/Graphics:
The animation was not too bad. In my opinion the art work was actually fantastic. Although it isn't something above expectation. It is worthy of saying its on expectation. If I were to rewatch this 5 years from now, I'd probably be able watch it. The production does seem to have put quite a bit of work into the environment of the SAO world. For example, the floor that was full of flowers, that was a beautiful site, and also when the world crumbles at episode 14, it was also very beautifully animated.

Sounds/Music:
The background music, sounds all fit into the animation. Especially when executing parts where there needs to be background music. Moments that need to express sadness/happiness such as Kirito almost dying on floor 74 by soloing the floor boss, or in the earlier episodes where the group of 4 died when Kirito entered a inescapable treasure room. Overall I'd say that the sounds/music were on par with expectation but not something above expectation because the genre doesn't target music/sounds but simply fit with the animation.

Overall thoughts:
Overall, I think that this anime MAY have been a little over-hyped in 2012, I absolutely can't say its the best animation overall, but I can say it is one of the best in 2012, probably topping the top 5 of that year. It maybe over hyped but it's still loved! I still enjoyed the characters and the whole genre of fantasy, survival, love, and romance of this anime. Whenever, and wherever I can get my hands on fantasy type anime I usually go through them like mad and crazy, and to my experience SAO is actually one of the betters ones. I could give a few that lacked in a lot of plot/flaws/character development. In the end I would definitely rate this anime a high 7 to 8, mostly likely an 8 out of 10 because I enjoy genres like fantasy/romance.




No comments:

Post a Comment